Us Poland Totalization Agreement

Spain and Portugal are covered by both a bilateral agreement and the Treaty of the Ibero-American Social Security Organization. Normally, people who are not U.S. citizens can receive U.S. Social Security benefits if they are outside the U.S., if they meet certain requirements. However, the agreement allows you to receive benefits as long as you reside in Poland, regardless of your nationality. If you are not a Polish citizen of the United States and you live in another country, you may not be able to receive benefits. Your Payment While You Are Outside The United States (Publication No. 05-10137) explains the restrictions placed on U.S. services. Bilateral social security agreements provide for the coordination of social security systems in Poland and the other contracting state. These agreements improve the situation of beneficiaries in the acquisition of social security benefits, as they are subject to the obligation of insurance coverage for all persons within the personal scope of the agreement. Bilateral social security agreements have the effect that the acquisition of the work of Polish citizens in a country linked to Poland by such an agreement always leads positively to the acquisition of the right to social benefits. For example, if you have earned at least six Social Security credits in the United States but are not eligible, we can count your credits in a contracting country to make up the difference.

If you meet the minimum licensing requirements on the basis of combined credits from both countries, you have a partial benefit in the United States, which is proportional to the number of credits you have purchased in the United States. The other county can also use your U.S. funds to help you meet the conditions for a foreign pension. If you do not agree with the decision on your entitlement to benefits under the agreement, contact a U.S. or Polish social security office. The people there can tell you what you need to do to appeal the decision. Note As shown in the table, an American worker employed in Poland can only be covered by U.S. Social Security if he or she works for a U.S. employer.

A U.S. employer includes a company organized under U.S. or state law, a partnership if at least two-thirds of the partners are U.S. companies.